This is a four-week comprehensive, project-based, online training approach to learning professional 3D modeling and resource management skills with Vectorworks Spotlight.
Through industry expert guided lectures, supporting exercises, online training manuals, and weekly group Q&A webinars you will develop an understanding of tools, menus, and commands, and workflows used to create and organize a design model within Vectorworks Spotlight design software.
This masterclass excels far beyond intermediate workflows and develops a solid understanding and familiarity of using 3D modeling functions as a default in an advanced design and planning process. Study will also be focused on using an advanced understanding of the Resource Manager to create, source, manipulate, and organize 3-dimensional and hybrid 2D/3D symbols.
Tangably Advanced 3D Modeling and Resource Management Vectorworks Spotlight Masterclass is an immersive learning experience engineered to provide a multifaceted understanding of the advanced capabilities of Vectorworks Spotlight as a 3D Modeling tool.
The video lectures, text, and exercises are complementary of each other. Consuming and practicing the variety of learning material provided is supportive of a complete learning experience. It is also important to reflect upon the lessons with the instructor and fellow participants. Vocalizing and practicing what you learn from the lessons will help you to reinforce your understanding of the subject matter, test your assumptions, and expose some areas you may need to review or practice again.
We begin the masterclass by understanding and practicing control and management of the subtleties of working planes. Every object created within the Vectorworks Spotlight 3D environment has a relationship to a working plane. Possessing an intuitive understanding of this world of planes will allow you to quickly navigate and model simple to complex 3D forms with ease.
Moving beyond the ability to push/pull and extrude planar objects, Vectorworks has the robust capability to create curved, sweeping, tapering, bulging, flowing, pinching, and many other organic formulations.
Developing a solid understanding of how to control this robust modeling engine within Vectorworks Spotlight will allow you to design, iterate, and model with less constraints in the 3D environment.
Developing a myriad of shapes, objects, and models can be fun but it quickly becomes a menagerie of disparate parts unless you have a method of cataloging and filing components into object libraries. The second half of the masterclass focuses heavily on the power of the Resource Manager. The Resource Manager is your magic wand of organization in Vectorworks Spotlight. All objects that exist or could exist within your .VWX file (ie: linetypes, textures, instrument libraries, staging elements, and many more) have a place in the Resource Manager. Knowing how to wield the power of this tool is Vectorworks Spotlight wizardry in the making. Participating in this masterclass will have you on your way to creating magic with Vectorworks Spotlight Design Software.
Attend and participate online, at your office, from your home, favorite conference room, or on the road to your next gig from your mobile device.
Enrollment in this masterclass includes:
- A self-paced online curriculum allows you to develop your skills any time anywhere
- Project-based instruction relevant for the entertainment professional
- Weekly live Q&A sessions with industry expert instructors
- Verifiable and shareable Masterclass Completion Certificate
- One full year of access, including v2019 curriculum updates at no extra cost
Tangably has worked with leading Entertainment Technology + Design professionals around the world since 2014.
Jacob bridges two decades of industry experience and dual professional degrees in Entertainment Design and Architecture. He has been using Vectorworks as an essential 3D design, CAD, and rendering tool for two decades.
Jacob has served as a training consultant to professionals ranging from major motion picture set designers and live entertainment lighting designers to leading architecture firms.
You can learn more about Jacob on his LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jacobdale/
- Review and practice the myriad of 3D modeling tools and functions available in Vectorworks Spotlight.
- Expand beyond simple push/pull modeling to a world of pinching, creasing, extruding, twisting, shelling and many more modeling functions.
- Explore Boolean command functions for adding and subtracting solid forms.
- Create seemingly complicated objects and environments with commands including paths, repeating elements, and scaling.
- Practice an advanced level of organization and navigation within the design model utilizing the power of the Resource Manager.
- Learn to create and access libraries of common resources for collaboration with your team and other entertainment industry professionals that use Vectorworks Spotlight and related software.
- Import, modify, and customize industry related resources from external libraries of 2D & 3D elements.
- Practice creating and managing graphic resources and libraries to share within your design team.
- Build a robust library of reference-able and shareable 3D objects.
- Develop a deeper understanding of Information Modeling concepts by creating, manipulating and updating objects with associated and embedded data.
Who Should Participate
"I completed Tangably Vectorworks Spotlight training with the confidence to begin implementing Vectorworks Spotlight software within my business. The instructor’s passion for the software was apparent. It brought a nice dynamic to the classroom. A great deal of interesting and useful information was covered throughout the course.”
Enrollment in this Masterclass includes:
- Weekly batches of project-based training exercises and on-demand video lectures
- Commenting and group discussion integrated within each lecture
- Weekly live-streamed Q&A with Masterclass instructor and fellow participants
- Periodic skills quizzes to reinforce key concepts
- Lecture-integrated supportive text
- Downloadable exercise files in .VWX 2018, 2017 or 2016 format
- Printable shortcut reminders & tip sheets
- Personalized, portable and verifiable Masterclass Completion Certificates allow participants who complete the coursework and exams to highlight their new skills on their resumes, websites and LinkedIn profiles.
- Regular team progress reports for enterprise clients allow managers to track individual progress throughout the training process.
This course is a 4-week instructor-guided exploration and practice of the tools and workflows used in Vectorworks Spotlight Design Software by industry professionals. It is taught by an Industry Expert Instructor with two decades of experience utilizing Vectorworks Design Software on real-world projects.
This course is designed as project-based training. Each course module will focus on using tools and workflows within Vectorworks Spotlight software to build on a digital model of a project grounded on real-world constraints and simulated client demands and requests.
Whether you are new to the industry looking to get a handle on the state of the art software, or an industry veteran that has decided to take your design workflow to the digital world, this course will propel you forward in your practice.
State-of-the-Art Professional Skills
Vectorworks Spotlight Design Software is used by a majority of professional designers in Live Entertainment, Lighting, Audio/Visual, Major Motion Pictures, Television, Theatre, Corporate Event, and Exhibit Design.
After completing all Masterclass modules and quizzes, you will receive a personalized and verifiable certificate of completion. Display your certificate on your website and LinkedIn profile to advertise your cutting edge credentials.
The Tangably Advanced 3D Modeling & Resource Management | Vectorworks Spotlight Masterclass, builds on the Tangably Foundational and Tangably Intermediate Masterclasses. If you are unfamiliar with foundational concepts such as drawing, modeling, and file organization, it’s a good idea to complete Foundational and Intermediate before embarking on Advanced 3D Modeling.
Additionally, before considering this masterclass you should comprehend:
- drafting concepts including:
- plan and elevation projections
- scale vs. actual size
- drawing units
- basic mouse and keyboard operations
- operation of a Mac or Windows Operating System
Participants must provide or have access to their own computer or workstation with the most recent version of Vectorworks Spotlight software and installed latest Service Pack release (currently Vectorworks 2018, Service Pack 2).*
A two button mouse with a scroll wheel, trackball with left and right buttons, or a multi-touch input surface is recommended.
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of Vectorworks Spotlight 2018 at
*PLEASE NOTE: Tangably is not affiliated with Nemetschek Vectorworks and does not sell or distribute Vectorworks Spotlight software. Therefore, if you are enrolling in a Tangably Masterclass or Tangably Training Program, it is your responsibility (or your employers) to secure or plan to acquire a fully functioning copy of current Vectorworks Spotlight software (valid throughout the duration of instruction) before enrolling.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have a busy work schedule. Will I need to take time off from my job in order to participate in this Masterclass?
Not at all. All of the lessons are pre-recorded and available to watch whenever its convenient for you. The live Q&A sessions happen weekly and include morning, midday and evening sessions, so you can join the session that best fits your schedule.
What if I have a question on a specific lesson; do I need to wait until the weekly Q&A to get an answer?
No need to wait. Below each lesson video you'll find a place to submit any questions you may have. In many cases you'll see an answer posted (either in text or video format) within a couple of hours.
What happens if I don't complete the Masterclass by the official end date?
We understand that folks in our industry can get busy. You'll have full access to the Masterclass, including the answers to any questions posted by you and your classmates for a full year from the start date.
Will I receive a certificate of completion after finishing the Masterclass?
Yes! Upon completion of your Masterclass you will receive a unique and verifiable certificate of completion from Tangably. Employers and clients can use this certificate to verify your level of expertise.
Do I need to purchase design software in order to enroll?
In most cases no. Tangably Masterclasses are fully compatible with the free trial versions of ay Vectorworks design software. Keep in mind that most trials expire after 30 days, so you'll want to make sure you complete your Masterclass by the time the trial period expires.
What is your refund policy?
If you're unsatisfied with your Masterclass for any reason, simply notify us within 30 days of your class start date and we will refund 100% of your purchase price.
Get started now!
"We couldn’t imagine being happier with our engagement with Tangably— Our Designer came back full of energy and was very complimentary of the trainer and the curriculum. Having Tangably in our hip pocket removes significant obstacles for us going forward with regards to considering potential candidates and overall recruitment. Thank you so much for your commitment and passion for the Vectorworks program and community (Nemetschek owes you a debt of gratitude — or an award)."
If you are enrolling in a Masterclass or Training Program, it is your responsibility to secure or plan to acquire a fully functioning copy of current Vectorworks Spotlight software before enrolling.
Tangably does not sell or distribute Vectorworks Spotlight software.
All brand names and logos are the property of their respective owners, are used for identification purposes only, and do not imply product endorsement or affiliation.