Develop a solid understanding of 3D modeling functions within Vectorworks Spotlight in just 4 weeks!
Participants will develop an understanding of tools, menus, commands, and workflows used to create and organize a design model within Vectorworks Spotlight design software. Developing a solid understanding and familiarity with 3D modeling functions will allow the event and entertainment professional to excel in their daily workflows.
The masterclass begins by understanding and practicing control and management of the subtleties of working planes. Every object created within the Vectorworks Spotlight 3D environment has a relationship to a working plane. Possessing an intuitive understanding of this world of planes will allow you to quickly navigate and model simple to complex 3D forms with ease. Moving beyond the ability to push/pull and extrude planar objects, we will practice the capability to create curved, sweeping, tapering, bulging, flowing, pinching, and many other organic formulations.
The second half of the masterclass focuses heavily on the power of the Resource Manager. Developing a myriad of shapes, objects, and models can be fun but it quickly becomes a menagerie of disparate parts unless you have a method of cataloging and filing components into object libraries. The Resource Manager is your magic wand of organization in Vectorworks Spotlight. All objects that exist or could exist within your VWX file (ie: linetypes, textures, instrument libraries, staging elements, and many more) have a place in the Resource Manager. Knowing how to wield the power of this tool is Vectorworks Spotlight wizardry in the making.
Developing a solid understanding of how to control this robust modeling engine will allow the participant to design, iterate, and model with less resistance in the 3D environment. Those who work in events, AV, lighting design, scenic design, film and anyone interested in upgrading their entertainment design workflow with Vectorworks Spotlight should participate in this masterclass. Join us if you have a daily workflow with Vectorworks Spotlight Design Software and are looking to raise your game to the next level with 3D modeling and resource management.
Attend and participate online at the office, from your home, or on the road to your next big project.
- Review and practice 3D modeling tools and functions available in Vectorworks Spotlight.
- Model objects by pinching, creasing, extruding, twisting, shelling and more.
- Explore Boolean command functions for adding and subtracting solid forms.
- Create visually complex objects and environments with paths, repeating elements, and scaling.
- Practice advanced organization and navigation in the design model with the Resource Manager.
- Create and access libraries of common resources for collaboration with teams.
- Import, modify, and customize resources from external libraries of 2D & 3D elements.
- Practice creating and managing graphic resources and libraries to share within your design team.
- Develop a deeper understanding of Information Modeling concepts.
- Practice an advanced understanding of Layer and Class organization.
- Organize the design model for accurate communication with other event professionals.
- Create presentation views of the 3D design model for client review.
- Reference data from other Vectorworks design models and documents.
- SYMBOL THUMBNAIL VIEW + RENDER (3:32)
- PLACE A SYMBOL INSTANCE OR NOT (8:19)
- DUPLICATE SYMBOLS (3:08)
- SAVING YOUR LIBRARY (0:39)
- ONE THING IS NOT LIKE THE OTHERS (2:46)
- REPLACE YOUR SYMBOL INSTANCE (3:27)
- QUIZ: Duplicating Symbol Resources
- ARC VERTEX FILLET MODE (13:05)
- EXTRUDED BASE (8:39)
- FROM LOW RES TO VERY HIGH (4:39)
- HACK DATA DISPLAY BAR + MOVE 3D (11:20)
- FROM RECTANGLE STEM TO OVAL (8:12)
- QUIZ: Editing objects in 3D
- RESIZE FROM CENTER - POINT (7:20)
- MODEL EXTRUDED OVAL (16:16)
- PUSH PULL THE PENCIL LEDGE (10:29)
- CREATE A SIMPLE COLUMN SYMBOL (15:30)
- CREATE ACCENT LIGHTS (17:39)
- ACCENT LIGHTS AS A SYMBOL (6:17)
- HIDE YOUR LIGHT OBJECTS IN 3D (2:50)
- QUIZ: Adding Lights
- SHOWCASE YOUR LIBRARY (1:47)
- 2D DEFINITION OF COLUMN SYMBOL (5:35)
- DEFORM TOOL - TWIST SOLID MODE (7:03)
- ADD MORE COLUMN VARIATIONS (2:12)
- THE VISUALIZATION PALETTE (2:08)
- COLLONADE WITH DISTRIBUTE ARRAY (7:59)
- THE RULE OF 8 IN OPENGL (8:32)
- QUIZ: Lighting Limits
- YOUR COLUMN IS A PORSCHE (4:28)
- FOLDERS IN SYMBOL LIBRARY (3:29)
- SCREEN PLANE VS. LAYER PLANE (10:37)
- DEFAULT PLANE FOR PLANAR TOOLS (2:31)
- DES. LAYER AS ACTIVE LAYER PLANE (9:47)
- ORTHOGONAL WORKING PLANES (5:15)
- QUIZ: Views & Working Planes
- SET WORKING PLANE - PLANAR FACE (7:49)
- SAVE WORKING PLANE (8:58)
- NAVIGATING WORKING PLANES (3:50)
- ROTATE WORKING PLANE - PART 1 (13:45)
- ROTATE WORKING PLANE - PART 2 (3:09)
- WORKING PLANE VIEWS - PART 1 (2:51)
- WORKING PLANE VIEWS - PART 2 (6:52)
- QUIZ: Working Planes
- INTRODUCTION (0:39)
- SKETCHES (1:43)
- CREATE GROUND PLANE (1:32)
- EXTRUDE GROUND PLANE (1:29)
- SAVE PROJECT FILE (0:52)
- DRAW AWNING CIRCLE (0:51)
- DRAW ROOF RECTANGLE (1:51)
- EXTRUDE ROOF (0:57)
- MODIFY-MOVE 3D (0:50)
- DRAW BUILDING FOOTPRINT (1:20)
- OFFSET BUILDING FOOTPRINT (3:20)
- EXTRUDE BUILDING (1:23)
- EXTRUDE BACK FACES (1:00)
- REVERT TO SAVED (2:06)
- CUT YOUR WORK IN HALF (5:48)
- CREATE HALF SYMBOLS (2:25)
- MIRROR SYMBOLS (1:25)
- BILATERAL WORKFLOW (3:33)
- CORRECTING COURSE (4:27)
- LOD - LEVEL OF DETAIL (2:13)
- SYMBOL ITERATION (1:47)
- FILLET EDGE (1:33)
- REPLACE SYMBOL INSTANCE (2:03)
- FUEL COLUMN (4:55)
- INVERT GROUND (2:37)
- MECHANICAL SPACE (4:55)
- MIRROR SYMBOL (2:16)
- MOVE 3D (1:56)
- WATERLINE PATH (6:34)
- CREATE PROFILE (3:11)
- EXTRUDE ALONG PATH (1:58)
- REVERSE DIRECTION (2:56)
- PLACE WATERLINE (2:36)
- MIRROR ON Z AXIS (3:47)
Hi, I’m Jacob!
I will be your Instructor for this Masterclass on Vectorworks Spotlight. I created Tangably, Inc. to provide better training resources to the Entertainment and Event Industries. Training has been our full-time business since 2015. My professional experience using Vectorworks spans more than 2 decades. I am proud to say that we have now offered training around the globe and trained thousands of professionals working for the biggest brands and artists. Our team is confident that we can teach you what you need to know about Vectorworks Spotlight software.
I have a busy work schedule. Will I need to take time off from my job in order to participate in this Masterclass?
Not at all. All of the lessons are pre-recorded and available to watch whenever its convenient for you. The live Q&A sessions happen weekly and include morning, midday and evening sessions, so you can join the session that best fits your schedule.
What if I have a question on a specific lesson; do I need to wait until the weekly Q&A to get an answer?
No need to wait. Below each lesson video you'll find a place to submit any questions you may have. In many cases you'll see an answer posted (either in text or video format) within a couple of hours.
What happens if I don't complete the Masterclass by the official end date?
We understand that folks in our industry can get busy. You'll have full access to the Masterclass, including the answers to any questions posted by you and your classmates for a full year from the start date.
Will I receive a certificate of completion after finishing the Masterclass?
Yes! Upon completion of your Masterclass you will receive a unique and verifiable certificate of completion from Tangably. Employers and clients can use this certificate to verify your level of expertise.
Do I need to purchase design software in order to enroll?
In most cases no. Tangably Masterclasses are fully compatible with the free trial versions of ay Vectorworks design software. Keep in mind that most trials expire after 30 days, so you'll want to make sure you complete your Masterclass by the time the trial period expires.
What is your refund policy?
If you're unsatisfied with your Masterclass for any reason, simply notify us within 30 days of your class start date and we will refund 100% of your purchase price.