Intermediate Event Modeling with Vectorworks
A 4-week Masterclass on intermediate skills with Vectorworks Spotlight
This is a four-week comprehensive, project-based, online training approach to learning essential professional skills with Vectorworks Spotlight design software.
Through industry expert guided lectures, supporting exercises, online training manuals, and weekly group Q&A webinars you will develop an understanding of tools, menus, commands, and workflows used to create and organize a design model within Vectorworks Spotlight design software.
This Masterclass quickly builds beyond a foundational understanding of the Spotlight universe. We will explore and practice the knowledge, skills, and best practices used by fellow entertainment professionals in a daily design workflow.
Attend and participate online, at your office, from your home, favorite conference room, or on the road to your next gig from your mobile device.
Enrollment in this masterclass includes:
- A self-paced online curriculum allows you to develop your skills any time anywhere
- Project-based instruction relevant for the entertainment professional
- Weekly live Q&A sessions with industry expert instructors
- Verifiable and shareable Masterclass Completion Certificate
- One full year of access, including v2019 curriculum updates at no extra cost
Tangably has worked with leading Entertainment Technology + Design teams around the world since 2014.
Jacob bridges two decades of industry experience and dual professional degrees in Entertainment Design and Architecture. He has been using Vectorworks as an essential 3D design, CAD, and rendering tool for two decades.
Jacob has served as a training consultant to professionals ranging from major motion picture set designers and live entertainment lighting designers to leading architecture firms.
You can learn more about Jacob on his LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jacobdale/
Frequently Asked Questions
- Setup a design model for a multi-room branded corporate launch event.
- Refine an understanding of Layer and Class organization.
- Model the venue in 3D from client provided PDF floorplans and alternate CAD file import.
- Organize the design model for accurate communication with other event professionals.
- Create and manipulate seating layouts for keynote audiences, breakout rooms, and banquet scenarios.
- Setup and adjust settings of video screens, projectors, and LED walls of various sizes based on use case.
- Configure audio placement and speaker layouts for multiple scenarios.
- Create light positions of various types and for venues of different scales.
- Place lighting devices on light positions, move devices from one position to another, and add organize instruments in a legible light plot.
- Focus multiple instruments to a variety of focus points.
- Create presentation views of the design model for client review.
- Extract data from objects in the design model to generate accurate and legible reports.
- Reference data from other Vectorworks design models and documents.
- Practice and develop a familiarity and understanding of industry-specific tools and commands and when best to use them.
Who Should Participate
"I completed Tangably Vectorworks Spotlight training with the confidence to begin implementing Vectorworks Spotlight software within my business. The instructor’s passion for the software was apparent. It brought a nice dynamic to the classroom. A great deal of interesting and useful information was covered throughout the course.”
Enrollment in this Masterclass includes:
- Weekly batches of project-based training exercises and on-demand video lectures
- Commenting and group discussion integrated within each lecture
- Weekly live-streamed Q&A with Masterclass instructor and fellow participants
- Periodic skills quizzes to reinforce key concepts
- Lecture-integrated supportive text
- Downloadable exercise files in .VWX 2018, 2017 or 2016 format
- Printable shortcut reminders & tip sheets
- Personalized, portable and verifiable Masterclass Completion Certificates allow participants who complete the coursework and exams to highlight their new skills on their resumes, websites and LinkedIn profiles.
- Regular team progress reports for enterprise clients allow managers to track individual progress throughout the training process.
This course is a 4-week instructor-guided exploration and practice of the tools and workflows used in Vectorworks Spotlight Design Software by industry professionals. It is taught by an Industry Expert Instructor with two decades of experience utilizing Vectorworks Design Software on real-world projects.
This course is designed as project-based training. Each course module will focus on using tools and workflows within Vectorworks Spotlight software to build on a digital model of a project grounded on real-world constraints and simulated client demands and requests.
Whether you are new to the industry looking to get a handle on the state of the art software, or an industry veteran that has decided to take your design workflow to the digital world, this course will propel you forward in your practice.
State-of-the-Art Professional Skills
Vectorworks Spotlight Design Software is used by a majority of professional designers in Live Entertainment, Lighting, Audio/Visual, Major Motion Pictures, Television, Theatre, Corporate Event, and Exhibit Design.
After completing all Masterclass modules and quizzes, you will receive a personalized and verifiable certificate of completion. Display your certificate on your website and LinkedIn profile to advertise your cutting edge credentials.
Before considering this masterclass it is best to successfully complete a Tangably Foundational Event Planning Masterclass or have comparable working knowledge including:
- Thorough understanding of the universe of Vectorworks Spotlight Design Software and how 2D & 3D objects, classes, design layers, sheet layers, viewports, and annotations connect together to support a contemporary model-based iterative design workflow.
- Setting up a design model accurately relative to scale and publishing requirements.
- Clicking behavior, snapping function, toggling between tool modes, and incorporating accurate constraints within the design model file.
- Organization and navigation of a design model for accurate and successful collaboration with other entertainment industry professionals that use Vectorworks Spotlight and related software.
- Understand the principles of an integrated 2D & 3D modeling workflow within Vectorworks.
- Know the fundamentals of accessing industry related resources from external libraries of 2D & 3D elements.
- Understand how to create and manage graphic resources within the design model including hatches, tiles, fills, and line types
Additionally, you must have Fundamental comprehension of:
- drafting concepts including:
- plan and elevation projections
- scale vs. actual size
- drawing units
- basic mouse and keyboard operations
- operation of a Mac or Windows Operating System
Participants must provide or have access to their own computer or workstation with the most recent version of Vectorworks Spotlight, Vectorworks Spotlight Student2Pro, or Vectorworks Designer, all of which are available for purchase through Novedge.
A two button mouse with a scroll wheel, trackball with left and right buttons, or a multi-touch input surface is recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have a busy work schedule. Will I need to take time off from my job in order to participate in this Masterclass?
Not at all. All of the lessons are pre-recorded and available to watch whenever its convenient for you. The live Q&A sessions happen weekly and include morning, midday and evening sessions, so you can join the session that best fits your schedule.
What if I have a question on a specific lesson; do I need to wait until the weekly Q&A to get an answer?
No need to wait. Below each lesson video you'll find a place to submit any questions you may have. In many cases you'll see an answer posted (either in text or video format) within a couple of hours.
What happens if I don't complete the Masterclass by the official end date?
We understand that folks in our industry can get busy. You'll have full access to the Masterclass, including the answers to any questions posted by you and your classmates for a full year from the start date.
Will I receive a certificate of completion after finishing the Masterclass?
Yes! Upon completion of your Masterclass you will receive a unique and verifiable certificate of completion from Tangably. Employers and clients can use this certificate to verify your level of expertise.
Do I need to purchase design software in order to enroll?
In most cases no. Tangably Masterclasses are fully compatible with the free trial versions of ay Vectorworks design software. Keep in mind that most trials expire after 30 days, so you'll want to make sure you complete your Masterclass by the time the trial period expires.
What is your refund policy?
If you're unsatisfied with your Masterclass for any reason, simply notify us within 30 days of your class start date and we will refund 100% of your purchase price.
Get started now!
"We couldn’t imagine being happier with our engagement with Tangably— Our Designer came back full of energy and was very complimentary of the trainer and the curriculum. Having Tangably in our hip pocket removes significant obstacles for us going forward with regards to considering potential candidates and overall recruitment. Thank you so much for your commitment and passion for the Vectorworks program and community (Nemetschek owes you a debt of gratitude — or an award).”
If you are enrolling in a Masterclass or Training Program, it is your responsibility to secure or plan to acquire a fully functioning copy of current Vectorworks Spotlight software before enrolling.
Tangably does not sell or distribute Vectorworks Spotlight software.
All brand names and logos are the property of their respective owners, are used for identification purposes only, and do not imply product endorsement or affiliation.